This is the current version of this document. To view historic versions, click the link in the document's navigation bar.
Section 1 - Introduction
(1) Under the Looking Ahead Strategic Plan, it is a commitment of the University of Newcastle (University) to widen participation, promote diversity and fairness, overcome injustice, and increase success for all.
(2) The University's Equity Diversity and Inclusivity unit Strategic Plan 2023-2025 has the following objectives:
Top of Page
- strengthening the way the University undertakes its core functions and responsibilities to achieve impartial opportunities for the success of everyone;
- maximising accessibility and inclusion of everyone;
- purposefully seeking, hearing, and acting on the voices of everyone; and
- creating positive and safe places for everyone to learn and work.
Section 2 - Scope
(3) This policy applies to all communications between University staff, students or the community, including written, visual and oral communications.
(4) This Policy should be read and understood by all staff and students.
Top of Page
Section 3 - Principles
(5) All communications must be inclusive in nature. This means:
- avoiding images, expressions, or language constructions that reinforce inappropriate, demeaning or discriminatory attitudes or assumptions about persons or groups based on age, race, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, political conviction, religious belief, or disability, family responsibilities or carers' responsibilities;
- using images, expressions or language constructions that positively reflect the richness of the social and cultural diversity of the University and its community, in acknowledging the range of experiences and values.
(6) This policy is based on the principles of:
- universal non-discrimination;
- full and effective inclusion;
- full and effective accessibility;
- the equity of people; and
- equality of opportunity.
(7) This policy should be read in conjunction with the University's Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and Equity Diversity and Inclusion Action Plans 2023 – 2025.