This is the current version of this document. To view historic versions, click the link in the document's navigation bar.
Section 1 - Approval for Use of Private Vehicles
(1) All travel on University business is subject to prior approval by a delegated officer.
(2) Where approval is given to travel by motor vehicle, it is expected that staff will use University vehicles if available. Staff can arrange University fleet vehicles through Infrastructure and Facilities Services (IFS). Staff should refer to the University Fleet Vehicle Use Procedure for information about use of University fleet vehicles.
(3) When University vehicles are not available staff may arrange through their Supervisor for use of a rental vehicle where this is the most economical means of transport. Bookings for rental vehicles are to be made through the University's dedicated travel booking system TravelHub, as required by the University Travel Procedure.
(4) For journeys where the approver agrees with the traveller that no suitable University vehicle is available, public transport is not available or appropriate, and where it is not operationally reasonable or economic to use rental vehicles or taxis, approvers may authorise staff to use their own private vehicle on University business.
(5) Approval for the use of a private vehicle on University business must be obtained in advance of the vehicle being used otherwise no reimbursement will be paid.
Using a Private Vehicle on Campus
(6) Authority to use a private vehicle for travel on the campus will not normally be given, except where necessary to mitigate a workplace health and safety risk.
Top of Page
Section 2 - Insurance
(7) Private vehicles used on official University business are not covered by University insurance policies. Staff must have an appropriate level of private insurance to meet the risks of using their private vehicle for business purposes.
Top of Page
Section 3 - Reimbursements
Rate of Reimbursement
(8) Staff who are approved to use their own private vehicle on University business will be reimbursed at the Australian Tax Office Kilometre Rate (refer to Travel Related Rates/Allowances) as determined from time to time.
(9) In cases where staff are approved to use private vehicles rather than University vehicles or public transport when these alternatives are available, no reimbursement will be provided.
(10) The kilometre rate determined as reimbursement for use of private vehicles on University business is an all inclusive rate to cover costs such as fuel, registration and insurance.
Reimbursement Claim Process
(11) Claims for payment of the kilometre rate must be submitted through the University expense management system on a trip-by-trip basis and approved by the Head of School/Division.