This is the current version of this document. You can provide feedback on this policy to the enquiries contact - refer to the Status and Details on the document's navigation bar.
Section 1 - Context/Overview
(1) The University of Newcastle has a diverse student population and the students follow a range of cultural naming conventions. These guidelines provide instruction for the data entry and display of names according to naming conventions in Australia and the International Civil Aviation Organization’s standards for machine readable travel documents.
Top of Page
Section 2 - Guidelines
Data Entry of Student Names
(2) The name to be entered in the student enrolment system should be verified against a passport or birth certificate which clearly identifies the primary and secondary identifiers.
(3) Where the name format is ambiguous on a passport, the Machine Readable Zone at the base of the details page should be referenced for primary identifier and secondary identifier(s). These will always follow the ISO standard convention.
(4) Data entry of the student name must follow exactly the proof of identity (i.e. passport or birth certificate). The proof of identity must be verified by a staff member or Justice of the Peace or equivalent.
- The primary identifier must be entered into the ‘Last Name’ field.
- The secondary identifier must be entered into the ‘First Name’ field.
- In circumstances where an applicant has only one name, the name must be entered in the ‘Last Name’ field, with a full stop entered in the ‘First Name’ field. This practise relates only to data entry into the student enrolment system. No full stop will appear on the student's testamur.
(5) The order of name components is not to be rearranged according to any other naming convention.
Appearance of student names on documentation
(6) The academic transcript will display only the secondary identifier and primary identifier, in that order. The primary identifier will be capitalised.
(7) The testamur will display only the secondary identifier and primary identifier, in that order. The primary identifier will be capitalised.
(8) Learning Management System and class lists will display, in order, the preferred name or secondary identifier and primary identifier.
(9) The Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) will display only the secondary identifier and primary identifier, in that order.
Change of Name
(10) Students can apply for their name to be changed on the student enrolment system for the following reasons:
- Deed Poll
- Name change associated with change of gender
- Typographical errors from initial data entry from application
- System error.
(11) All change requests must include documentary evidence of proof of identity.