This is the current version of this document. To view historic versions, click the link in the document's navigation bar.
Section 1 - Introduction
(1) The University of Newcastle (University) is committed to becoming a leader in environmental sustainability within the University sector. The University regards the implementation of leading environmental sustainability practices as critical to our performance as a world class teaching and research based organisation.
Top of Page
Section 2 - Policy
(2) The University aims to achieve our environmental sustainability goals through the ongoing development and implementation of an endorsed Environmental Sustainability Plan which supports environmental sustainability through ethical decision making in accordance with the Ethical Framework, teaching and learning practices, research, the management of University campus and facilities, and community engagement.
(3) The University will ensure the following principles are embedded across the University:
- demonstration of a visible commitment to environmental sustainability by University leaders;
- dedication of resources to support the ongoing implementation of environmental sustainability actions and targets in the Environmental Sustainability Plan;
- demonstrating continuous improvement towards the achievement of the measures of success of our Environmental Sustainability Plan;
- monitoring the implementation of the Environmental Sustainability Plan, and reporting on the University’s achievement against our objectives on an annual basis to University Council, Executive Committee and within the University’s annual report;
- actively promoting and engaging environmental sustainability initiatives to staff and students at the University; and
- environmental sustainability actions to contribute to the targets set in the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals 2015.