This is the current version of this document. You can provide feedback on this policy to the enquiries contact - refer to the Status and Details on the document's navigation bar.
Section 1 - Introduction
(1) The University of Newcastle (the University) supports the design of blended and online curriculum delivery that caters to the needs and expectations of its student population. The demand from students for the provision of recorded lectures and supporting evidence that students believe having access to classroom based recordings improves their overall learning experience has led to the formulation of the Lecture Recording All-In Policy. The Lecture Recording “All-In” Procedure (the Procedure) outlines how, in exceptional circumstances, a lecturer can opt-out’ from having a lecture recorded.
Top of Page
Section 2 - Audience
(2) All staff and students of the University.
Top of Page
Section 3 - Procedure
(3) Lecturers wishing to opt-out of recording will need to show evidence that their lecture would not be appropriate for capture. The following circumstances will not be accepted as reason to opt-out of having a lecture for a course captured:
- Personal preference not to capture;
- Perceived adverse effect on student attendance; and/or
- Lecture contains a limited amount of material protected by copyright. (This can be accommodated by following the University's advice on UON Library - Copyright or editing recording to remove protected content).
(4) The procedure to request to opt-out of having lectures for a course captured is:
Top of Page
- The Lecturer and Course Co-ordinator will submit a written request and justification to opt-out to the relevant Head of School/Unit Director. The written request must provide the following information:
- Lecturer name;
- Course Co-ordinator name;
- Course Number;
- Opt-Out date(s);
- Opt-Out location(s) (room number, building name, campus);
- Opt-Out time(s); and
- Justification for opting out.
- If endorsed by Head of School/Unit Director, the written request will be submitted for endorsement to relevant Faculty Pro Vice-Chancellor.
- Following consideration, the Faculty Pro Vice-Chancellor (or delegate) will provide written notification of the outcome (approved or denied) of the request to the Lecturer (and Course Co-ordinator) as well as to the Director, Centre for Teaching and Learning, or delegate, for immediate processing.
- If the request is approved, the lecturer will provide this written approval and all the information listed in Item 4a) to UONline Support, Centre for Teaching and Learning (email@example.com).
- UONLine Support will process the approved request within two business days.
Section 4 - Roles and Responsibilities
(5) Faculty Pro Vice-Chancellors or their delegates (Heads of School) hold the authority to grant approval to opt-out of lecture recordings in University-managed lectures.
(6) Centre for Teaching and Learning (UONLine Support) will process approved requests to opt-out of lecture recordings.
(7) Director, Centre for Teaching and Learning, or delegate, will provide advice to the Faculty Pro Vice-Chancellors and their delegates regarding opt-out requests, as required.